2x4 Art Welcome

2x4 Art Welcome

Monday, May 16, 2011

Rocking Chair Art

Since I am passionate about wood and art, I now have one in the same in the form of a rocking chair. Recently my older brother, Charlie Rooks of Medford, Oregon, made me an incredible hand-made rocking chair that is truly art. There are elements and principles of design that are the criteria by which great art has merit, such as line, shape, balance, color, texture, rhythm, harmony and unity. No doubt, Charlie took all of these into consideration as he shaped and assembled this chair. As I sit in it I am consumed by the color and texture of the hickory wood, its dark and light grain selected for balance and unity. One shape echoes another. The rhythm of the back spindles are perfection. The contours and joinery of the chair arms compels one to run one's hands over it, to feel subtle forms that make up the whole. The insets in the photo show the detail of how the arms are attached and the use of a double mortise joint.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo, and enjoy your comments about it just as much.

    ReplyDelete